Friday, July 15, 2011

Chik'n Enchiladas

I have had a craving for chicken enchiladas lately, but since I quit eating chicken I had a slight problem. Fortunately for me, Morning Star Farms has a faux chik'n that is tasty stuff. I made the recipe listed below stolen from The Lazy Vegetarian. CRH wasn't in love. When I asked him what I could have done differently to make him like it, his reply was "Use meat". He doesn't seem to love recipes where I sub faux meat for actual meat.
I liked it and I fed the neighbor and he liked it, so I'm giving it a "B+". I added more cheese on top while it cooked and accidentally mixed the tomatoes into the mix instead of on top. I also used flour tortillas instead of corn. (We prefer flour.) Otherwise, I followed the recipe. :)

16 corn tortillas, 5" - I prefer the "extra thin" variety
1/2 cup finely diced onion
2 cups Mexican 4 cheese blend 2% shredded cheese (8 oz package)
1 small can, 4 oz, diced green chilies (or jalapenos)
1 package Morningstar Farms chik'n strips, cooked in a tiny amount of oil in a non stick pan, then chopped/shredded into small pieces
1 package (10 oz box or 12 oz bag) frozen chopped spinach: thawed, drained, and extra water squeezed out
10 oz can red enchilada sauce
14.5 oz can diced (or petite diced) no-salt-added tomatoes, quick drained (ok to leave some liquid)

Lightly oil the bottom of a 13"x9" pan or casserole dish. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine diced onions, cheese, green chilies, cooked and cut up chik'n strips, and thawed and drained spinach. Combine well.

Using a damp folded paper towel, heat the tortillas in microwave in groups of 4 for 20 - 30 sec.

Fill the tortillas generously with the filling, rolling and placing seam side down in dish.

Use same bowl to mix together enchilada sauce and diced tomatoes. Pour on top of filled tortillas, making sure that no tortilla spots are left completely dry.

Cover with foil and bake 15 min, then remove foil and bake another 10 - 15 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment