Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Homemade Meals All Day

I was supposed to start my practicum site today, but due to paperwork complications I don't start until next Tuesday. This left me with a free day and I decided to make all of my meals at home today.

Breakfast was a yummy, calorie trimmed version of the lox bagel. I make mine on a bagel thin with smoked salmon, capers, onions, and Weight Watchers Cream Cheese...oooooh so yummy and less calories than the regular way. Other than the decrease in breading, I can't taste a single difference.

Lunch was a crab cake sandwich made with these fantastic Costco crab cakes. CRH and I have been making crab cake items individually all week. They are sooooo good. He made a mayo for his the other night that I copied for mine today and it was fabulous. Eve wanted me to call her in the midst of eating it, so I couldn't quite savor it the way I wanted to, but I missed my baby and much preferred talking to her...really.



Dinner was Crispy Black Bean Tacos! I opted to make these when CRH wasn't home b/c he's not a fan of Feta cheese. Actually, he's branched out a lot on cheeses in the past decade, but he's not going near Feta. I bought a giant thing of it at Costco the other day, so I better find some other recipes for it soon. Here's the recipe for tonight's tasty treat. I made 2 of these for myself, so I cut the recipe in half as this makes 4. Total calories was only 500 for both! I subbed regular onion for the green onion b/c I am not a fan of the green onion.

Ingredients

1(15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 -1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 cups coleslaw mix
2 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/3 cup parsley
4 corn tortillas (white or yellow ) or 4 wheat flour tortillas
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
bottled chipotle hot sauce or hot sauce
Change Measurements: US | Metric

Directions:
Prep Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
1. Place beans and cumin in small bowl; partially mash. Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil and lime juice in medium bowl; add coleslaw, green onions, and cilantro and toss to coat. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in single layer. Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture onto half of each tortilla; cook 1 minute. Fold tacos in half. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Fill tacos with feta and slaw. Pass hot sauce alongside.



I think I need to work on my artistry in the form of food pictures. Clearly, it's not my forte. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment