Saturday, May 14, 2011

Granola


My favorite granola for years has been Cascadian Farms Organic Oats and Honey. It is delicious, tasty goodness. It is super expensive here though, as is granola in general. I don't know if that's a Hawaii thing or if it's expensive everywhere, but a box here runs about $6. I ran across this recipe the other day and thought it looked yummy. It's not so healthy, but it sounded great.

Dee's Dark Chocolate Granola

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
Servings: 8

"This crunchy peanut butter and chocolate granola is great for breakfast, or any time that a chocolate craving hits."
INGREDIENTS:
cooking spray
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons butter flavored spread
(such as I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!®
Spread)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups oats (such as Quaker Oats®)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
(such as Craisins®) (optional)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Melt together the brown sugar, peanut butter, honey, butter flavored spread, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until well combined; remove from heat.
3. Combine the oats, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Pour the brown sugar mixture into bowl; stir well to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips, dried cranberries, and almonds. Spoon into the prepared pan; pat down and spread evenly.
4. Bake in preheated oven until browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2011 Allrecipes.com (Maybe this means I shouldn't post it, I don't know, but there's the credit.)

I left out the almonds and dried cranberries because I'm not big on nuts and I can't stand dried fruit. I also used semi-sweet chocolate chips because it's damn near impossible to find dark chocolate chips on this island. It is as delicious as I had hoped it would be. I made it last night after Eve left as sort of a peace offering to the transition. We'll see how it goes over when she gets home today.

1 comment:

  1. Amy- This may have been yummy but I have a suggestion. ONLY use real butter in this. There's a local seller who makes granola here (Gorilla Grains) and they use real butter and the difference is startling. Try it and you will never go back. I know, I know, saturated fat and all- so leave out the chocolate chips and peanut butter, and make make a more traditional granola if that bothers you. Also, if you're worried about ingredients you can't pronounce... margarine is the pits!

    ReplyDelete