Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Metamorphosis

I grew up in the South. When you sit down to eat, something has died. It's just the the way of it. We are some meat and potato loving people. In our household growing up, my parents would usually have one vegetarian meal a year that consisted of fried squash, fried okra, and corn on the cob. It would piss my carnivorous brother off and he would go to the fridge and grab either some leftover meat or lunch meat and eat that with his dinner. It wasn't my favorite until many years later. I'd give my left arm to have that meal in front of me right this very second.

When I got married, Christropher was a vegetarian following a bout of kidney stones. It didn't last long because he was the cook and he got tired of preparing multiple meals (an event that I think only occurred a handful of times, mind you). Anyway, we continued our meat loving ways for years. In 2007 (ish), I read and watched Fast Food Nation and Super Size Me. I was horrified by both and went off McDonald's for a good solid month. Fast Food Nation did more than get me off fast food for a month though, it laid the groundwork for this. I also weighed 180lbs give or take (and I'm 5'4").

I've wanted to watch Food, Inc. for a long time, but I've been really busy in grad school for the last year and I just had not gotten around to it. A few weeks ago, I bought the book at Borders and I read part of the 1st interview with Eric Schlosser, who also wrote Fast Food Nation. I've also been watching Food Revolution with Jamie Oliver and I'm horrified over how we feed our kids, but I'll get to that in time. Last weekend, I was laying around the house because we've had nothing but rain for weeks and I finally figured out how to watch Netflix movies on the Wii. Food, Inc. was one of the free movies and I watched it in absolute disgust.

I'm in the middle of making a lot of life changes right now. Three years ago, I moved to Hawaii. I lost 55lbs and pretty much eliminated all fried food from my diet. I am currently in grad school for my MSW. I'm in the process of getting a divorce (although we still live together and get along really well these days). I'm moving into another phase of my life. I won't go on and on about how gross the movies were and the books I've read that have lead to this point. You all know that it's out there and if you want the details, educate yourself. This blog is going to be about my personal transformation from Southern Girl Carnivore to Vegetarian. I plan to post recipes with pictures and discuss the process. I want to talk about healthy food practices, Eve's (my daughter) responses to our food choices and life style transformation, provide recipe feedback and ease of preparation, product reviews, and overall changes in my body and how I feel.

I planned our next two week's worth of dinners this morning with Christropher's help. We've decided that fish is still ok. I'm sure it's actually not as ok as I think it is and I know some about the overfishing and such, but none of the movies and books I've seen have discussed the gross factor in fish eating just yet. It's not processed, so I feel like what I'm eating is pretty pure in that regard. I am pleased that out of the 13 meals we planned, only 5 have fish.

Stay tuned for updates, feel free to comment and offer recipe ideas, and I hope you enjoy reading about the journey!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,
    First of all sorry to hear about you and Christopher. Me and my ex are still friends and still get together with our kids for special occasions, so there are ways to make it tolerable, ESPECIALLY for the kids!!!! But it's funny cause a lady at my church who has pretty much always been vegetarian, has been emailing me and she got me thinking of changing my ways too!! I love watching Jamie Oliver's food revolution too!! Maybe you can be an inspiration to me!!!! I will try to follow your journey!! Good luck !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle! We've actually been in the divorce process for a year and a half. That first year was kind of brutal, but we're back to being really good friends again. Let me know if you come across any good recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I am so proud of you! I've been keeping myself educated about our food industry as well and boy oh boy, you are right. We're in trouble. I can't wait to watch your process and maybe I'll be inspired too. If you have any free time (ha!) read the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a fabulous book and not one you have to read all at one time. You can read, sit it down, and come back to it later and pick right back up. It's very enlightening. Keep up the fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,
    I kind cook like Rachel Ray. I pinch of this . a palmful of that. That's why I DON"T BAKE.!!!!!! But I kinda made my own cabbage , ramen noodle salad. I just used a bag of shredded cabbage, about a tsp or so of sesame oil,white balsamic vinegar(maybe like 1/2 cup) I do it to taste( I luv vinegar)a little reg. oil. (whatever you like, about 3 tbs). I chopped up a little red onion,green pepper, and a pack of oriental ramen noodles. I think you can get vegetarian ramen, but I used what I had. I was thinking of also throwing in some frozen peas( well not frozen!!!) My mom is french and thats the way she cooked. (never measuring) I think its great that you are doing this. I just need more motivation, so this blog may be really good for me!!! Good Luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooops!! I forgot to say that I added about 3 tsp. of soy sauce. Like I said, I add things more by taste then by exact measurements. So just add things according to your own tastes!!!! I use this as a snack or for a side, or at lundh!! You can find it online.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, you would be very surprised how much southern food can be vegetarian. Farmers down here didn't always have meat, couldn't afford it or not alot of it. Traditionally people down here at alot less meat than we do today, because it was alot less convenient and much more expensive. So don't forget the black eyed peas and cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS watch the mercury levels in your fish as well as sustainability. There's no point in poisoning yourself while you are trying to eat healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PPS Check out Heidi Swanson's blog http://www.101cookbooks.com/
    She's got fabulous vegetarian and vegan recipes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciate the recipe tip and the blog. I'll look at that one today! Today is the official kickoff! I am worried about the mercury levels, but I'm thinking fish is going to be minimal and definitely not a staple. It's my transition food, lol.

    ReplyDelete